With the school year quickly approaching, you probably have a ton of things on your mind- making sure you’ve packed everything, getting your books, figuring out the logistics of moving in- its definitely a hectic time. But this is also one of the most exciting […]
Looking back on Rush, there are a lot of things I wish I could tell my past self, and I'm sure girls who are in houses currently feel the same way. While the experience is different for everyone, here are a few pieces of advice from myself and my sorority sisters to help make your Rush experience a bit easier. Here is the second installment in my 2017 Rush Series, I hope you enjoy!
1. Go in with an open mind
There is a chance you could get cut from a house you want, but you should at least see the process through because you might end
up finding the house you were meant to be in.
2. Understand that the questions they ask you aren't random
They are to see if you are a good fit for the house. Answer honestly and authentically, but don't forget you are trying to show the best version of yourself.
3. Evaluate who you are, what you value in your friends, and where you want to go in life.
It might be a good idea to write this down and review it before going into each house.
4. Don't be afraid to reveal your true feelings and be honest
You don't need to seem perfect all of the time- you can talk about disappointments and struggles that you have faced. Remember, you want these conversations to be real and to make connections.
5. Don't get discouraged
Its easy to give up when you face rejection, but if you persevere you'll see that the process is worthwhile.
6. There will always be someone who is smarter, prettier, and more interesting than you
Don't compare yourself to them- focus on your strengths and being the best you possible.
7. Don't let what you've heard about houses influence your judgement
Good or bad. Instead, go in with no expectations and try to judge for yourself.
8. Don't judge a house on the one or two girls you talk to on the first day
They can't possibly represent how the entire house is so try not to disregard a house just because of one bad conversation.
9. Try not to get tripped up on the whole legacy thing
It doesn't matter if every girl in your family has been in that house, if it’s not a good fit for you, it’s not worth carrying on the tradition.
10. Just because all of your friends are in love with a house doesn't mean you have to be
You don't have to be in the same house to stay friends- after all, you'll still have Greek Life in common.
What is something you wish you had known about Rush?
Be sure to check out the other posts in my 2017 Rush Series: What To Bring In Your Bag For Rush